A task force headed by state and federal agencies is investigating a second pipe bomb found within city limits in the last week.
The latest device was brought to Clovis Municipal Court about 9 a.m. Monday by a citizen who told police he found it near the Prince Street overpass, officials said.
City employees also found what was later confirmed as a pipe bomb near the entrance of the city landfill on March 5.
No injuries were reported and no arrests have been made in connection with either incident, officials said.
The municipal court and adjoining city hall were evacuated for about an hour-and-a-half while a state police bomb unit investigated on Monday, according to Clovis City Manager Joe Thomas.
Thomas said the 18 to 20 employees evacuated were allowed to return to the building after state police "rendered (the device) safe."
Clovis Police Chief Steve Sanders, who was in a department head meeting at city hall when the call came in about a possible bomb, described the device as looking like a pipe bomb. He said it was made out of white PVC pipe, with caps on the end. He said it was about 4 to 5 inches long. He declined to comment on whether it had a fuse, citing the ongoing investigation.
Sanders said state police are the lead agency on the investigation and he would not comment on the investigation.
Capt. Jimmy Glascock of the New Mexico State Police said a man came into the municipal court on Monday and showed a clerk the device. A bailiff at the court instructed the man to place the device outside.
Glascock said the man was interviewed by Clovis police, state police and ATF and FBI agents. The man told law enforcement he found the pipe Sunday and took it home.
Officers executed a search warrant at the man's residence and found no evidence indicating criminal activity, Glascock said.
Glascock said there was no evidence the device was used to intimidate or harm anyone.
The pipe bomb found March 5 was described as being a 4-inch to 6-inch long steel pipe packed with a smokeless-powder propellant and screws that would act like projectiles.
Glascock said the incidents do not appear to be connected although there were similarities between the explosives, which he declined to elaborate on.
Thomas said no extra security measures are planned other than notifying city employees to be especially aware of their surroundings until "we find out more about the nature of these devices."
Thomas said he doesn't think the city is being targeted in the two incidents.
Sanders advised citizens if they come across a suspicious device to leave it where it is and call 911.