On this date …
1974: Walgreen Drug Stores had made application with New Mexico Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control for a liquor dispenser’s license to be located at 100 W. 14th St. The owner of the license Walgreen’s was hoping to acquire was J.A. Carrasco who operated Carrasco’s at 810. W. Grand. Multiple church leaders organized to oppose approval of the license, including Baptist ministers Stan White and Carl Scott, but the application was approved in December 1974.
1954: Clovis police announced they were enforcing the city’s ordinance against jaywalking on Main Street. Fines would range from $2 to $25 or violators could face five to 30 days in jail. “Jaywalking is a dangerous practice in the busy downtown section, Police Chief (Ollie) Damron pointed out,” the Clovis News-Journal reported.
1901: The first Portales newspaper, The Progress, began weekly publication. The Portales Herald followed in 1902, just before the Portales Times launched and eventually merged with the Herald.
“We don’t want players with ‘can’t’ in their hearts.” – Clovis High basketball coach Jimmy Joe Robinson, writing about the fundamentals of basketball in the Aug. 1, 1971, Clovis News-Journal.
That’s entertainment …
The Pink Pony, a bar in Taiban west of Clovis, announced Aug. 1, 1969, it was now open Sundays. “Juke box dancing,” was the tease in a newspaper advertisement.
Pages Past is compiled by Editor David Stevens. Contact him at: