Berkley should try this with food

Rube Render

Rube Render

By Rube Render

Local columnist

Last month, the Berkley, California City Council voted to require medical marijuana dispensaries in Berkley to provide free pot to low-income and homeless people.
You can’t make this stuff up. Google it yourself.
The ordinance would require the pot dispensaries donate 2 percent of the amount of cannabis they sell annually to poor and homeless people.

The dispensaries cannot get away with giving away poor quality marijuana to these folks. The ordinance provides that the “medical cannabis provided under the section shall be the same quality on average” as marijuana “dispensed to other members.” No stems and leaves for the poor and homeless; they deserve nothing but the bud.
The ordinance is awaiting final approval, but is expected to become law this month.

This is another example of government taking something with no just compensation. Whatever you may think about marijuana dispensaries, they are legitimate businesses constituted under California law. If the Berkley government can take a cut of that business for a basic necessity like medicine, why can’t it take 2 percent from the fast-food franchises for a basic necessity like food?
Based on the above ordinance, the fast-food business would have to provide Big Macs, Whoppers and Cheeseburger De lux’. They wouldn’t be able to get away with handing out something off the 99-cent menu.

Don’t think this can happen? You’re correct, I don’t either. The city council of Berkley is far too sophisticated to allow its poor and homeless residents to dine on fast food. Why not ensure grocery stores be required to provide the same 2 percent? The diet would be much more extensive and probably much healthier.
The only problem would be that most grocery stores operate on a 2 percent profit margin. That could be a problem for the grocery stores. No problem for the city council.

Two qualifications from Berkley:
“A person must qualify for exemption from local taxes and fees, as well as an income level set every year by the city council. That equates to $32,000 a year for a single person and $46,000 a year for a family of four.”
One more thing to remember. Californians are flocking to New Mexico. I did, but then I’m a Nebraskan.

Rube Render is the Curry County Republican chairman. Contact him at: