On this date …
1964: Howard Ong of the China Inn Cafe, located at First and Prince streets, reported someone broke into the building through a restroom window and stole several cans of soup. Witnesses reported seeing a man in the area coming from the railroad yards.
1959: Our Lady of Guadalupe church members were preparing for their third annual festival. The Clovis News-Journal reported 18 vendor booths would be set up on the grounds at Davis and Second streets, featuring candy, games and gifts. Proceeds would be used for a planned new parish school.
1934: Clovis Police Radio Station KNFA went live with installation of three short wave receiving sets. The station was tested and had “perfect reception” as far as Roswell, the Clovis Evening News-Journal reported.
Price check …
Smith’s Fruit Market at 2220 N. Prince, owned by Neva and Jim Smith, advertised 10-pound bags of red potatoes for 49 cents. That was 50 years ago this week. They also had Kelly’s milk for 78 cents a gallon and large Texas Black Diamond watermelons for 75 cents each. The store was open 7 a.m. to 9 p.m. daily.
Did you know …
Clovis had a community band as early as 1910.
Furniture store owner and undertaker A.W. Johnson played cornet and organized the group that mostly included his family.
First known as the Clovis Cowboy Band, they played at parades, public meetings and high school productions.
In the spring of 1913, the Chamber of Commerce organized a community play with proceeds going to purchase uniforms for the band. After that, it was called the Chamber of Commerce Band, according to the history book, “Curry County New Mexico.”
Pages Past is compiled by Editor David Stevens. Contact him at: