Clovis (11-8) at Hope Christian (15-3)
• When: 7 p.m. today in Albuquerque
• On the air: KCLV-AM 1240, KTQM-FM 99.9.
• Last time out: The Wildcats defeated Eldorado 62-61 last Saturday to pull a split in a back-to-back with the Eagles and La Cueva. The Huskies defeated Manzano on 70-46 Tuesday to extend their winning streak to five games.
• Last meeting: January 2013, the Cats beat the Huskies 82-68 at The Rock. n Mutual opponents: The Wildcats and Huskies have each played La Cueva, Valley, Eldorado, Mayfield, Rio Rancho (twice for Hope Christian) and Sandia (twice for Clovis). Clovis is 2-5 in those games, while Hope Christian, ranked No. 1 in Class 3A, is 5-2.
• Hope players to watch: Dedrick Milford, 6-4, Jr., G; Austen Drake, 6-5, Sr., C.
• Keys: “We’ve got to rebound, that’s first and foremost,” Clovis coach Matt King said. “We’ve got to be better defensively. Whenever you play in big games, you’ve got to make shots.” … King has noted the weekend will be big for the Huskies, who host Hobbs on Saturday, and advised Clovis fans get to the school as soon as possible due to limited seating. … Senior F Traivon Sopila is likely out with a groin injury. King said Sopila will be evaluated today, but the priority is that he’s healthy going into district play.
— Compiled by Kevin Wilson
Clovis (19-0) vs. Artesia (12-7),
at Roswell Goddard (9-10)
• When: 7 p.m. today at Rock Staubus Gym and 2:30 p.m. Saturday, respectively
• Radio: KCLV-FM 99.1
• Last time out: The Lady Wildcats, ranked No. 1 in Class 5A, beat Volcano Vista 59-44 at The Rock on Saturday. Artesia won at Santa Teresa 51-32 on Tuesday, while Goddard lost at Santa Teresa 42-38 last Saturday.
• Last meetings: The Lady Cats won at Artesia 69-45 and routed Goddard at home 86-32 last February.
• Artesia players to watch: Anna Gonzales, 5-8, Sr., F; Madison Houghtaling, 6-0, Jr., P; Samantha Matthews, 6-1, Sr., P.
• Goddard players to watch: Stephanie Kolker, 5-5, Jr., G; Baylee Robinson, 6-0, Jr., P.
• Of note: Gonzales (eight), who averages nearly 12 ppg, and Robinson (six) are the leading returning scorers for their teams from last year’s matchups against the Lady Cats. … Both opponents are 0-3 against Class 3A No. 2 Lovington. The Lady Cats have beaten Lovington soundly twice. … Goddard hosts Class 3A No. 1 Portales (16-2) tonight. … CHS will again be without junior G Nichele Hyman (broken nose, concussion symptoms) this weekend. “Hopefully, she’ll be back for Hobbs (in next Friday’s District 4-5A opener at Hobbs),” CHS coach Jeff Reed said. Hyman, injured Jan. 11 at Alamogordo, has missed the last five games. … Clovis has made more free throws this season (274-for-401) than their opponents have attempted (156-for-267). … The Lady Cats have won 35 consecutive games at The Rock, dating to a 53-45 District 4-5A tournament loss to Carlsbad on Feb. 24, 2011. They’ve won 25 consecutive games overall since losing at Hobbs last Februrary.
— Compiled by Dave Wagner