Just for Women is being hosted by the Portales Women's Club, which celebrated its 110th birthday this year. Proceeds from the event will fund Eastern New Mexico University scholarships and the ENMU homecoming dance, among other charitable donations.
- What: Just for Women
- When: 8 a.m.-noon today
- Where: Greyhound Arena
- Who: Open to the public (yes, that includes men)
- Cost: $15 per person
- The name has been changed from Women's Day Out, which has been the name for last eight years, to Just for Women.
- A sack lunch will no longer be provided, which has resulted in a price drop from $20 to $15
- The club will donate $1 to the American Heart Association for every ticket purchased. The organization plans on making it a tradition to donate $1 from ticket sales to a new charitable donation.
- Every person in attendance will receive a raffle ticket to win one of more than 40 prizes. The prizes will be coming from the 45 vendors at Women's Day Out. Prizes will be given out after the last workshop. Ticket holders must be present at the drawing to win a prize.
- Attendance is usually between 100 and 125 people.
Clovis resident Pamela Atherton, an award-winning radio show host, will give opening remarks and a motivational speech at 8:30 a.m.
20 classes will be offered, but only three can be chosen. There will be three course blocks starting at 9, 10, and 11 a.m. Each class is an hour long.
- Cozetta Moore, manager of The Print Shop in Portales will teach "Card Making on a Budget" twice.
- Debbie Yi of Nature's Hidden Secrets will be giving a course on bio skin care and another on BIOELEMENTS products.
- Curt Jaynes, owner of GardenSource Nursery & Landscaping, will teach "The Art of Gardening" and "Cooking with Herbs from Your Garden"
- Pam Atherton's course is titled "Live Your Dreams."
- Jane Thompson Hasenmueller, who is a certified health coach from Santa Fe, will be giving one course on cutting sugar out of your diet and another course on safe weight loss.*
- Dr. Charles Broz, assistant professor of culinary arts at ENMU, will give a class (twice) on making different types of canapés.
- Jane Hamann, an ACE-certified personal trainer will be giving a boot-camp style exercise course.
- Amritpal Kaur of Clovis will give a workshop on "how to bring out the warrior in your life."
- Dr. Daniel Marez is a doctor of Oriental medicine from Raton. His course will be about pain and women's health issues.
- James Burns, owner of Burns Do It Center in Clovis, will give a demonstration on outdoor grilling and living.
- Rose Richards, co-owner of Hestand's Floral & Gifts in Portales, will give a course on putting on a wedding without breaking your pocketbook.
- Julie Gawehn, director of human relations at ENMU, will give a Zumba course*
- Victoria McClure of Lubbock is a certified cake decorator and she will give a cake decorating tips.
- Lisa May is with Eco Hair Care and she will talk about what hair products should be used.
- Cori Snobble and Yolanda Chavez will teach belly dancing for fitness and flexibility.*
* Bring appropriate shoes and attire.
Source: Sheryl Borden, event chairman.