Col. David Piech of Cannon Air Force Base gave Roosevelt County commissioners an update on Cannon activity at the Tuesday county commission meeting. The following is what he reported:
• The base will be changing its vice wing commander and flight medicine commander later this year.
• One new aircraft a month will continue arriving at the base for the entire year. Piech showed pictures of several types of aircraft, including the Predator and the Reaper.
• The base has more than 5,600 personnel and is expected to have almost 6,200 in the next two years.
• There are 39 construction projects going at a cost of $639.7 million.
• Almost $1.3 billion in construction will have occurred by 2019.
• There will be 677 new homes on base in the next three years.
• There will be a lot of construction and development over this summer.
• The base will have invested $31 million in the Melrose range by 2013.
• Future development will include looking to expand impact area at range and a joint exercise facility.
• The base is considering using Xeriscaping and is watching its water pipelines closely for water conservation.
— Compiled by CMI staff writer Alisa Boswell