Candidates for Curry County offices have from 9 a.m. until 5 p.m. Tuesday to file for three seat commission seats and the offices of treasurer and county clerk in the June 5 primary election.
Up for grabs on the commission are the District 2 position held by Dan Stoddard, the District 4 seat held by Wendell Bostwick and the District 5 position held by Caleb Chandler.
Here’s how the races are shaping up by party affiliation:
• Stoddard and Bostwick each say they intend to file for re-election.
• Chandler has announced he is retiring and would not be seeking any elected public office.
• Clovis businessman Ben McDaniel announced Saturday he would be running against Stoddard.
• Tim Ashley, a former county commissioner, has confirmed he will be seeking Chandler’s seat in the June 5 primary election.
• County Clerk Coni Jo Lyman has announced she is retiring. “I started my 27th year and I think it’s time for some new blood,” Lyman said. Chief Deputy Clerk Beni Dampier plans to file for the office Tuesday.
• Treasurer Bernice Baker did not return several telephone calls regarding her status as a candidate.