Freedom New Mexico
A 27-year-old Portales woman was arrested earlier this month on charges of bringing tobacco, pills and marijuana into Roosevelt County Detention Center.
Stephanie Warren is charged with bringing contraband into a jail, a fourth-degree felony.
According to Roosevelt County Sheriff’s Office reports:
• About 11:20 a.m. July 2, a deputy went to the detention center in reference to a report of contraband.
• A corrections officer told the deputy she had learned two women in a day room might be smoking something. When she checked, she saw Warren and another woman sitting on a blanket with a bag and items beside them.
• The corrections officer said Warren tried to hide the items under the blanket.
• Officers recovered 66 pills of the anti-anxiety drug Alprazolam, 18 grams of tobacco, 3 grams of marijuana and two rolled-up cigarettes with rolling papers.
• Warren at first said she wouldn’t talk to the deputy without a lawyer, but then said she didn’t have the items and didn’t know who they belonged to. She said the corrections officer lied about her trying to hide the contraband.
• The deputy told her she would be charged with having the items because they were in her immediate area.
• As of Saturday evening, Warren remained incarcerated.