A 16-year-old Portales boy has been arrested on charges of auto burglary, a fourth-degree felony.
According to Portales Police reports:
• About 2:30 a.m. Friday, an officer responded to a report of an auto burglary in progress in the 200 block of North Indio Avenue.
• En route, the officer was told the vehicle owner had detained a male subject and was waiting for police.
• When the officer arrived, he found two residents of the home, a 25-year-old man and a 48-year-old man, standing outside the vehicle with a 16-year-old boy inside it.
• The 25-year-old said he had gone outside to smoke a cigarette and saw the vehicle dome light on and the boy rummaging through the vehicle. He told his father, and they detained the boy while calling police.
• The officer searched the boy. He found an AM/FM transmitter, which the 48-year-old said was his and came from the vehicle. The officer also found a substance the boy said was “Pep” or “Spice,” a synthetic narcotic.
• The boy was booked into the Quay County Juvenile Detention Center.