A warrant issued Monday for a 24-year-old man said to be released from jail by mistake is being canceled. Jail officials say now the release of Andrew Roldan was not a mistake after all; he has served his time and is a free man.
A bench warrant was issued Monday for Roldan after jail administration officials said it was discovered the Clovis man was erroneously released when he should have been held until May.
Undersheriff Wesley Waller said his office was notified Thursday afternoon that jail officials were in the process of having the warrant canceled.
“We were notified … by Mr. (Keith) Norwood (jail administrator) that upon further review, he determined that the timing of the release of Mr. Roldan was proper and … an order to quash the warrant is being generated at this time,” Waller said.
Officials said Wednesday that Roldan, who had been ordered to serve a 250-day sentence with no good time after violating his probation on charges of shoplifting in 2009, was released from the jail Oct. 17.
Norwood, who on Wednesday cited a clerical oversight, said a staff member came to him and admitted to the mistake.
Waller said in light of the situation, law enforcement is no longer seeking Roldan.
Norwood could not immediately be reached for comment on Thursday.