CNJ staff photo: Liliana Castillo Clovis Realtor Kelly Corn donates $5 to United Way from her cell phone to help earthquake relief efforts in Haiti.
By Liliana Castillo: CNJ staff writer
Everybody’s doing it.
And this time, it’s a good thing.
The Clovis Board of Realtors plans to join in by texting in unison Tuesday to help Haiti during the board’s monthly meeting.
Max Watt, public relations committee chair and a ReMax Realtor, said she read a newspaper article about how large sums of money were being raised to help Haiti via text messaging.
“It seemed like an easy thing for us to do to help,” Watt said.
Watt said the fundraiser is part of the public relations committee’s goal to get more involved in the community this year, including Cannon Air Force Base.
Watt said the board is hoping to have monthly functions for community members, not just Realtors.
“It’s a way for us to give back to the community,” Watt said.
Kelly Corn, a member of the committee and a Realtor with Kathy Corn Realtors, said she thinks the fundraiser is a great opportunity for the board.
“If we all get together to do it, it can be a significant amount of money to help,” Corn said.
Corn said many people have sent texts to help Haiti on an individual basis.
“It’ll be nice to have a lot of people doing it at the same time,” Corn said.
Corn, after doing some research on the Web, put together a list of eight organizations money can be texted:
• Text HAITI to 90999 to donate $10 to the American Red Cross
• Text HAITI to 25383 to donate $5 to International Rescue Committee
• Text HAITI to 45678 to donate $5 to the Salvation Army in Canada
• Text YELE to 501501 to donate $5 to Yele
• Text RELIEF to 30644 to get automatically connected to Catholic Relief Services and donate money with your credit card
• Text HAITI to 864833 to donate $5 to the United Way
• Text CERF to 90999 to donate $5 to the United Nations Foundation
• Text DISASTER to 90999 to donate $10 to Compassion International