Police investigating drive-by shooting

CNJ staff writer: Sharna Johnson

Police are investigating a drive-by shooting at the home of a Clovis man whose younger brother was shot and killed more than three years ago.

Around 11 p.m. Saturday, Ruben Perez flagged down an officer to report his residence in the 1000 block of Hondo had been shot at, according to a police report released Tuesday.

Officers discovered three bullet holes in a northeast window of the home and located the bullets inside the house. One was lodged in a bedroom door and two fell on the floor, police said.

No one was injured.

Perez, 21, told officers he and three others were watching TV when they heard the loud crack of gunshots, the report said.

In September 2005, Perez’s 10-year-old brother Carlos Perez was killed when nine shots were fired through a bedroom window. Police said Ruben Perez, who was sleeping next to his brother, was the target of that attack.

Police said Perez, 17 at the time, was targeted by four men retaliating for an argument the older Perez had that day at the high school.

Three men have been convicted for the 2005 killing, but one, 24-year-old Edward Salas, escaped from jail in August. The fourth, Noe Torres, 30, has been on the run since the homicide.

Perez said he had no idea who would have shot at his home.

“I really don’t know, cause I haven’t had no problems with nobody,” Perez said, explaining he believes he must have been the target, but he doesn’t know why.

Perez said he and the others avoided getting hit because they were in the back of the house when the shooting occurred.

Police Capt. Patrick Whitney said there are no suspects and it is unknown what the motive for the shooting might have been.