CNJ staff photo: Liliana Castillo Twenty-six year old Juan Cruz was attacked by a 900 pound domestic boar last week.
By Sharna Johnson: CNJ staff writer
A week after a 900 pound hog mauled him, Juan Cruz wonders whether he’ll be able to keep his arm nearly severed in the attack.
The 26-year-old Curry County man spoke about his ordeal for the first time Wednesday through an interpreter.
Cruz returned home after five days in a Lubbock Hospital. He said he is still doing “bad”, and has tremendous pain in his arm.
Last week, doctors reattached Cruz’ left arm after it was nearly severed by the pig. Cruz said he still does not know if the reattachment was successful and expects to know more when he returns to the doctor Monday.
Cruz, a dairy worker and the family breadwinner, worries he could still lose his arm.
According to Curry County sheriff’s deputies, Cruz was attacked by the animal March 16, while he was feeding it and about 18 other pigs in a pen at his home on Curry Road O, northwest of Cannon Air Force Base.
Family members told police Cruz was attacked by the boar when he reached into the pen to grab a water hose.
“I never expected him to do that,” said Cruz, in good spirits despite his ordeal.
“(The pig) wasn’t mean or anything,” he said. “It was unexpected.”
Cruz said he doesn’t know how long he will be unable to work, explaining even though he has been released from the hospital, he is still immobilized by the pain.
The day after the incident, a brand inspector, under the supervision of a veterinarian, shot and killed the animal at the family’s request, a sheriff’s report said.
The family also asked to have the meat.
After a test determined the boar was free of rabies, officials told the family they could eat the hog.