Who: Ben Ray Lujan
Seeking: New Mexico’s 3rd Congressional District seat.
Seat is held by: Tom Udall, who is leaving the seat to run for the U.S. Senate.
Opponents: Republican Dan East, Independent Carol Miller.
(Editor’s Note: Candidates are given a choice of three questions to answer specific to the seat and its challenges. The same questions will be offered to opposing candidates.)
Q: District 3 is a very big district, stretching from Gallup to Farmington to Raton to Portales. How do you plan to balance your commitments to the area?
A: We are in a very diverse district, 16 counties across New Mexico. It’s a beautiful district. The people in the district are what make it special. It’s important that you stay in touch with the constituents. You travel around, you have a presence. When you are not in Washington, you have to be home. I think that we saw it here, with the effort to make sure we kept Cannon. You saw a community that came together, truly working together to create that voice to do what was best for the community. That’s exactly what I believe needs to be done.
You have to have a strong presence, make sure you’re listening to your constituents, that you’re directly working with them to see their needs are carried out.
• President Bush: Needs improvement.
• Gov. Richardson: Tough.
• Yourself: Energetic.
• Sarah Palin is: Trying.
• America’s biggest challenge: The economy.
• The $700 billion bailout is: A start.
• Best TV/movie president: Michael Douglas.
• If you ever run for president, your dream VP pick is: Warren Buffett.
• Favorite meal you can cook? Steak.
• Outside of politics, your dream job: Human rights advocacy.
• Will a woman be U.S. president by 2025? Absolutely possible.
• Best way to cut down on dependence of foreign oil: Renewable energy development.
For information on Lujan:
— Compiled by CNJ Staff