Water heater sparks Melrose trailer fire

CNJ staff

A trailer home at 417 Eighth St. in Melrose caught fire about 5:30 p.m. Wednesday and sustained significant damage, according to officials.

Melrose Police Chief Lee Ferguson said no one was injured in the fire, which he said started in the water heater element.

Melrose police and fire departments were on the scene for about two hours, Ferguson said.

The trailer is owned by Jake Jacobs, and was rented by Scott Beard, he said.

Ferguson said the trailer likely was a total loss, and the renter was displaced.