* House defeated Grady 53-44 in a District 4-1A matchup on Saturday at House as Ronnie Eldridge scored 17 points and Chris Wooldridge added 13 for the Cowboys.
“We made some crucial turnovers,” Grady coach Jim Kneipp said. “And that gave them the momentum.”
Grady (4-15, 1-4 district) scored just four points in the fourth quarter, and House nailed nine free throws in the final stanza for its first district win of the season.
Junior Brian Blackburn led Grady with 17 points, but no one else reached double figures for the Bronchos.
* Also in 4-1A at San Jon, the host Coyotes used a strong second-half effort to beat Clovis Christian 68-59.
Richard Vasquez scored 22 points for San Jon while Tyce Foster added 14 points, including a trio of 3-pointers.
“They had more effort than us,” Clovis Christian coach Randy McBroom said, “and they turned it up a notch in the fourth quarter.”
The Coyotes outscored Clovis Christian 45-32 in the second half.
Keeson Bell scored a game-high 26 points for the Eagles (12-8, 3-2), and Will Genitski added 14.
* Despite a 54-49 non-district loss at Tatum on Saturday, Melrose coach Casey Pack maintained that the Buffaloes played their best game of the season.
Tatum capitalized on several Melrose free throw misses in the third quarter to erase a six-point halftime deficit and take control. Alex Castro sank four 3-pointers en route to 18 points for the Coyotes.
Senior Eric Walker led the Buffaloes (2-18) with 12 points, including three 3-pointers.
* Clovis Christian (13-8, 4-2) employed staunch third quarter defense and four 3-pointers from freshman Jocelyn Swann for a 43-32 victory over San Jon in a District 4-1A contest.
Swann scored 14 points and sophomore Jennifer Schaap added 11 for the Lady Eagles (13-8, 4-2). Both teams struggled at the free throw line, shooting a combined 42 percent.
Janay Breshear led the Lady Coyotes with 14 points, but CCS held San Jon to just two points in the third quarter.
* Two nights removed from pounding Mosquero by 25 points, Grady continued to roll by beating House 68-36 in a District 4-1A match up.
Grady’s Jennifer Franklin and Mandy Rush each netted 12 points, and Molly Rush added 10 more.
Sara Lee scored 17 points for the Cowgirls, and Shelby McElroy contributed another 14, but House was down 32-14 at the break.