* Bovina solidified its hold on second place behind Sudan in District 4-1A with a 61-43 victory over Hale Center at Bovina.
Sophomore guard Jesus Rocha led the Mustangs (11-8, 6-1 district) with 20 points, while senior Jeremy Vasquez added 14 points and junior Trent Quintana had 10. All three players had a pair of 3-pointers.
Bovina turned a nine-point deficit at the quarter into a 25-24 halftime lead, then put the game away with a 22-9 run in the final period.
“They threw some ‘curveballs’ at us (early),” Bovina coach Shawn Torres said. “We just didn’t play our game, but we came back in the second quarter and got on track.”
* District 3-1A leader Elida got 20 points from junior Ever Varela in a 74-36 victory over Melrose at Elida.
Sophomore Cade Cathey added 12 points and junior Wesley Gilmore 11 for the Tigers (19-2, 4-0). High scorer for the Buffaloes (2-17, 0-3) was sophomore guard Zach Pack with eight.
* Junior guard Cass Dimitroff scored 15 points and sophomore forward Berry Stinnett added 14 as Fort Sumner notched a 65-48 non-district win at Grady.
Junior post Jacob West also reached double figures for the Foxes (6-11) with 10 points. Junior Brian Blackburn netted 20 points and senior Jett Sours added 11 for the Bronchos (4-14).
* Junior Courtland Luscombe led three players in double figures with 20 points as Texico began District 6-2A play with a 68-54 win at Clayton.
Junior Casey Crist added 16 points and freshman Seth Bailey 14 for the Wolverines (17-3), who led virtually all the way and put the game out of reach by sinking 13-of-17 free throws in the final period.
High man for the Yellowjackets (11-10) was senior guard Johnathan Fernandez with 19 points.
* Junior guard Faith Martin led three players in double figures with 19 points and hit five of Texico’s seven 3-pointers in the Lady Wolverines’ 70-50 rout of Clayton in the team’s District 6-2A opener at Clayton.
Junior post Brooke Bailey added 14 points and junior guard Bryn Mayfield added 12 as Texico (16-4) opened a 38-20 lead and traded baskets with the Lady Yellowjackets the rest of the way.
“I wasn’t real pleased with that,” Lady Wolverines coach Keith Durham said. “When you’ve got somebody going, you’ve got to turn it up.
“They (Lady Yellowjackets) played hard, but I felt like we lost our intensity (after halftime).”
Lindsey Fluhman did most of the damage for Clayton with 22 points, while Christen Taylor added 10.
* At Grady, Fort Sumner got 14 points from sophomore Bree’Anna Lucero and 12 from sophomore Racheal Chavez and posted a 40-30 non-district win over the Lady Bronchos.
The Vixens (11-5) outscored Grady by small margins in each quarter in slowly pulling away. Senior Jennifer Franklin took game honors with 17 points for the Lady Bronchos (8-9).
* Senior post Jessica Bachicha poured in 20 points to help Bovina notch a 52-42 District 5-1A victory over Hale Center at Bovina.
The Fillies (11-13, 2-6) erupted for 24 first-quarter points and held on, outscoring the Owlettes 15-9 in the final period to pull away. Ruby Vela and Yesenia Guevara each added 10 points for Bovina.
* At Elida, the Lady Tigers rebounded from losses to district rival Fort Sumner on Friday and the Clovis “C” team on Saturday to beat Melrose 58-39 in a District 3-1A matchup.
Freshman Britnie Jasso led Elida (17-4, 3-1) with 17 points, while senior Zanessa Dodd paced the Lady Buffaloes (11-8, 1-2) with 13 points.
* In District 5-1A, host Springlake-Earth improved to 22-7 (5-3 district) by posting a 58-20 win over Farwell. Junior Shelby Christian scored 12 points for the Lady Blue, now 3-5 in district play.
— Compiled by CNJ staff