Local brief

By CNJ Staff

Smoke causes school evacuation

Odor and smoke from a fluorescent light fixture prompted the evacuation of Yucca Junior High School Tuesday afternoon, according to fire officials. Firefighters responded to a call of smoke and odor in the office area of the school toward the end of the school day, according to Battalion Chief Ike Burns of the Clovis Fire Department.

An investigation determined there was no fire. Burns said it is common for fluorescent light fixtures to overheat.

There were no reported injuries, and students were able to continue with dismissal, Burns said.