Grady United Methodist Church will celebrate its 100th anniversary Sunday morning.
Sign-in and greeting will begin at 8:30 a.m. with services at 9 a.m. A food fellowship will follow in the kitchen area.
Church officials encourage attendees to bring pictures and stories to be shared during the informal service.
The small church began on a Sunday in 1906. Originally the community of Grady held church services in the back of a local grocery store. Nail kegs and boards served as benches. People traveled from miles around hauling water in barrels from Pettigrew’s Lake. Several lay preachers from the area shared messages during the services.
According to church history, by 1907 the Grady Circuit was listed in the New Mexico Conference Journal as part of the Albuquerque District of the Methodist Church. In 1908, land was purchased as the site for the church. The present church building was built in 1921. In 1983, the Fellowship Hall was added to the original building.
The church serves the region with some members traveling 30 miles to attend services.