The main mission for the American Museum of Agriculture in Lubbock is to preserve the hidden treasures of American agriculture for future generations. According to the museum’s Web site, with nearly 400 toy and pedal tractors and over 300 other artifacts from farm equipment to household items on display, the museum strives to tell the story of American agriculture.
How did it begin?
According to the Web site, the idea had its roots back in 1969 when Lubbock County Commissioner Alton Brazell took it upon himself to begin collecting agricultural equipment, machinery and memorabilia. That collection was housed on 5 acres in Shallowater, Texas.
In 2001, the first meeting of the non-profit organization, the American Museum of Agriculture, was held and the county permanently loaned the organization the exhibit. In the process, a building to house the exhibit in Lubbock was opened in 2002.
What does it contain?
The collection at the museum features household items, moldboard plows, restored tractors, a threshing machine, broadcast binder, combine, 71 pedal tractors, 300 die-cast toy tractors and many other items. In its storage are horse-drawn equipment, field condition tractors and threshing machines, combines, grain binders, mowing machines, grain drills, hay rakes and balers, cotton strippers and trailers, according to the Web site.
Hours and admission
The museum, staffed by volunteers, is open from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Wednesday through Saturday. Admission is free but a $3 per person donation is suggested.
How to get there The museum is located in Lubbock between East Broadway and East 19th Street at 1501 Canyon Lake Drive.
From Clovis take U.S. 84 southeast to Lubbock, approximately 94 miles. Turn onto east Loop 289 until you come to Interstate 27. Take the Interstate 27 south exit. Proceed to the U.S. 62 (19th Street) exit. Go east on 19th Street then left on Canyon Lake Drive to the museum.
Mailing address is P.O. Box 505, Lubbock, TX 79408. Phone number is (806) 239-5796. Or visit their Web site at: