ENMU loses in title game


TOPEKA, Kan. — Senior guard Karlton Mims scored 23 points and added 10 assists Saturday night as host Washburn, ranked No. 5 in NCAA Division II, defeated Eastern New Mexico University 102-82 to win the championship of its own holiday classic men’s basketball tournament.

Mims went 6-for-7 from the field, including two 3-pointers, and was 9-for-9 from the line as the Ichabods (5-0) improved to 30-2 all-time in the event.

Senior forward Travis Robbins added 22 points for Washburn, which shot better than 60 percent in each half and finished at 64 percent (34-of-53).

The Greyhounds (2-2) got season-bests of 21 points from junior guard Billy Austin and 19 points and 10 rebounds from junior forward Daniel Sherman. ENMU advanced to the finals of the four-team tournament by rallying from a 13-point deficit with eight minutes left to beat Fort Hays State 61-59 on Friday.

After the teams exchanged the lead for most of the first seven minutes, a 3-pointer by Washburn’s Randy Brown tied the score 19-19 with 12:56 left in the half and kicked off an 8-0 run that put the Ichabods in front for good.

Down 50-39 at halftime, Eastern got within eight points a couple of times early in the second half before the Ichabods slowly pulled away.

Kyle Snyder added 13 points and Randy Brown 10 for the Ichabods while ENMU, which shot 52 percent for the game (32-of-62), also got double-figure scoring from junior point guard Jolen Montoya (15) and senior forward Jamaal Hunnicutt (13). Hunnicutt, Sherman, Mims and Robbins were all named to the all-tournament team.

On Friday, ENMU edged Fort Hays on two free throws by senior Irshaun Pinckney with two seconds left. It was the second consecutive game the Hounds had won after trailing by 13 points with less than 10 minutes left.

Hunnicutt scored 16 points and grabbed seven rebounds for the Hounds, while Pinckney and junior Jason Breland each added 11 points.

Guard Tyrone Shepherd led four FHSU players in double figures with 14 points before fouling out in the final minute.

The Hounds were in front 12-10 with 9 1/2 minutes left in the half, but fell behind 28-18 at halftime after shooting just 27 percent from the field. Down 50-37, Austin’s 3-pointer started ENMU’s comeback with 7:40 left.